Parents and community members have a personal role to play in addressing the physical availability of alcohol.
Parents can help their children avoid alcohol problems by:
- Talking about the dangers of drinking
- Drinking responsibly, if they choose to drink when they are legal age.
- Serving as positive role models
- Not making alcohol available
- Getting to know their children’s friends
- Having regular conversations about life in general
- Connecting with other parents about sending clear messages about the importance of not drinking alcohol
- Supervising all gatherings to make sure there is no alcohol
- Encouraging kids to participate in healthy and fun activities that do not involve alcohol